I hope you enjoyed a nice and relaxing Thanksgiving weekend. We sure loved having a few extra days off (well, sort of) - They were mostly spent working on projects and decorating the house for Christmas but hey, the holidays are here! And I can't think of a better way to celebrate this joyous season than with a cup of homemade hot chocolate. Nothing warms the soul like a cup of hot cocoa, complete with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
That's my opinion anyway.
To make your own cocoa mix, you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 oz. semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp. salt
In food processor, with knife blade attached, blend cocoa, sugar, chocolate and salt until almost smooth. Store in tightly sealed container at room temperature for up to 6 months (I doubt it'll last that long). For each serving, mix 3 tablespoons of the cocoa mix with 1 cup of milk in a microwave safe mug. Microwave on high 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until blended and hot, stirring once. Swirl a dollop of whipped cream on top and sprinkle with cinnamon. Hmmm, yes.
If you're feeling adventurous, try out these other variations!
- Mocha: Prepare cocoa mix recipe as above, adding 1/3 cup instant coffee powder or granules before blending in processor.
- Mexican Spice: Add 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne) before blending.
- Vanilla: Add half of a vanilla bean (pod and seeds) before blending.